Thursday, March 25, 2010

Having one of those days where I'm questioning the purpose of dreaming. Is it simply useless or even worse, a guarantee for disappointment? Is dreaming a waste of time? A distraction from the purpose and reality at hand? Is it a path to inevitable heartbreak?

-OR-

Is it in fact, the active exercise of hope? Believing that there truly is more. Being open to possibilities never even imagined. Perhaps, motivation towards something bigger? And with that, a willingness to risk the chance of heartbreak knowing that in the end IT WILL BE WORTH IT. Is that what dreaming is?

I don't know.
But, if one of my children were asking me this, whether they should abandon dreaming as a means to protect themselves from potential pain or suffering, I would answer with an emphatic "NO!". Not because I do not care for them and their feelings, but because I DO! What they would miss out on if they didn't dream! For at one time, even they were but a dream to me. As is the case with most everything precious in my life. When I consider that, I choose to dream. To believe. In spite of the "logic" (or maybe lie) that says "why bother". It is without a doubt a risk, but certainly a risk worth taking.

Witnessing a dream unfold into reality is like no other experience in life. And realizing that that is God's dream for us, even sweeter.

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe."
- Anatole France

No comments:

Post a Comment